ELIZABETH CITY — The Kehukee & Sister Schools Project will present Living History of Legendary Schools: Rural Segregated Schools of Pasquotank County, 1925-1951 at the Museum of the Albemarle on Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 2 p.m.
The program will include a brief historical overview of the rural segregated schools within Pasquotank County followed by two panels of former students and teachers. The two panels will engage in a fast-paced conversation about memories of the buildings, teachers, school days, teaching materials, lessons, activities, games, programs, contests, social events, parental involvement, and other issues associated with these schools.
The rural segregated schools, Kehukee, Mill Pond, Whiteville Grove, Pitts Chapel, Mount Zion, Winslow, Moses Temple, Up River, St. Mary’s, Trincolo, Union Chapel, Little River, Palmyra and Ramoth Gilead, had great teachers and provided a remarkable education before Pasquotank County Elementary School opened on February 7, 1951. The school was constructed so that all black elementary students living in the rural areas of Pasquotank County would attend a more modern facility rather than their community school which operated with primitive outside toilets, potbelly stoves for heat, and hand pumps for drinking water. The program is free and open to the public.
The Museum of Albermarle is a unit of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources. For more information on North Carolina arts, history and culture, visit Cultural Resources online.